11-member Burma parliamentary delegation meets with CFOB by Tin Maung Htoo
Information Release by Canadian Friends of Burma (CFOB)– April 26, 2013
Ottawa – An 11-member Burma parliamentary delegation visited Ottawa this week in exchange of the Canadian parliamentary delegation sent off to Burma earlier this year. During one-week long visit, they toured on the Parliament Hill, held meetings and discussions with their counterparts, and observed the Canadian political systems and parliamentary practices.
A day before their departure, the delegation met the executive members of CFOB Board of Directors at the Lord Elgin Hotel in Ottawa on April 26 in the morning, and discussed the current political reform process, challenges ahead and future prospects for the amendment of the 2008 Constitution. Discussion also included the role in which Canadian civil society organizations could play during the transitional period.
The delegation has left early this morning Friday from Ottawa and currently on their way back to Burma. The Canada Parliamentary Centre organized the visit of the delegation (and some details may be inquired directly).
MPs and government officials included in the team are as follows:
1. Mr. Thuyain Zaw, Chairman of the Public Accounts Committee and Member of Parliament USDP
2. Mr. Ko Ko Tun, Secretary of the International Relations Committee and Member of Parliament USDP
3. Miss Khin Thanda, Member of Parliament NLD
4. Mrs. Khin San Hlaing, Member of Parliament NLD
5. Mr. Ye Tun, Member of Parliament, Shan Nationalities Democratic Party
6. Mr. Htun Aung Kyaw, Member of Parliament Rakhaine Nationalities Development Party
7. Dr. Banyar Aung Moe, Member of Parliament, All Mon Regions Party
8. Mr Aung Zin, Member of Parliament, National Democratic Force Party
9. Mr. Khun Ling, Member of Parliament, Chin Progressive Party
10. Mr. Kyaw Soe, Director General of Parliament’s Office
11. Mrs. Thida Tun, Deputy Director General of Parliament’s Office
Executive board members of CFOB who met the delegation are as follows:
1. Dr. Merle Jacobs (Chairperson)
2. Mr. Timothy Zaw Zaw (Vice-Chairperson)
3. Ms. Thet Thet Htun (Secretary)
4. Mr. Tin Maung Htoo
You can view photo of CFOB and Burma’s Parliamentary delegation: https://twitter. com/mhtin88/ status/327487093 188227073/ photo/1
The Canadian Friends of Burma (CFOB) is incorporated, national non-governmental organization working for democracy and human rights, peace and equality in Burma since 1991. Our objective is to support the Burmese Democratic Movement, in particular democratic rights and fundamental freedoms of all citizens of Burma.